12494 University Boulevard
Suite 115
Orlando, FL 32816


8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.



The Office of Graduate Affairs is available to help you with the graduate school process from admission through to graduation. Take some time to explore our graduate programs. Please be sure to check program specific administration requirements and deadlines.

Next Steps

1Explore Graduate Programs

2Ask Questions and Request Information


Admissions FAQs

For more in-depth information about admissions, review the answers to frequently asked questions.

Application Process: Doctoral Degree

What is required for admission to a doctoral program?

Admission to all graduate programs requires the award of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution. The minimum undergraduate cumulative grade point average (GPA) required is a 3.0. A second GPA is also calculated to meet this minimum admission standard by using just the last 60 hours of a student’s undergraduate program.

Doctoral programs also require transcripts, a master’s degree in a related field, an official competitive GRE score taken within the last five years, three letters of recommendation, a goal statement, and a resume or curriculum vitae (CV).

Some programs have additional admission requirements including candidate interviews, a writing sample, relevant coursework, professional teacher certification, samples of research, and/or relevant work experience. Please visit each program area website in the graduate catalog for the latest information on specific admission requirements:

Do I need the GRE for admission to a doctoral degree?

Yes, admission to all UCF EdD/PhD programs require a competitive GRE score as a standard of admission.

What is the difference between an EdD and a PhD program?

The EdD is designed for students who want to accelerate their career trajectory by improving their leadership practice, influencing the practice of others, and impacting their organization's outcomes. These programs emphasize research and theory to inform practice, decision making, and solutions that result in better organizational and professional outcomes. This graduate program is intended for the working professional who plans to be a part-time student.

The Ph.D. program is primarily for educators who seek teaching positions at research universities or research-oriented education positions in education, business, or industry.  This is a research-based program that currently offers several tracks for highly specialized interdisciplinary study.  The Ph.D. is designed for full-time study, although some tracks have programs of study that allow for part-time (less than 9 hours per semester) enrollment.

How do I apply for admission?

Complete an online Graduate Application, Residency Form, and Health History Record by going to the following web site:

This web site includes all graduate application materials, required forms, information on financial assistance, and the complete UCF graduate catalog.

Click on APPLY NOW on the left navigation bar of the web page and follow the instructions for completing and submitting your application online. Your application is not considered complete until you hit the SUBMIT button and include your online application fee payment of $30.00.

There are sections on the application which ask me to upload supporting documents that are not required by my program. What should I do?

The online application is a general application — it is not program specific. Please be advised that some sections may remain blank upon submission. Please refer to the graduate catalog for your program’s required documents: If you have any questions about your application requirements, please feel free to call the College of Education and Human Performance, Graduate Affairs Office, at 407.823.5369.

How do I send my transcripts to UCF?

If you are a graduate of a UCF undergraduate program, your transcript will be forwarded to the College of Graduate Studies and placed in your application file. All other transcripts must be requested by the applicant to be sent to the UCF College of Graduate Studies. Questions about the address or process can be referred to

How do I register to take the GRE?

Registration for the exam may be accomplished by logging onto the GRE website.

Preparatory courses are offered through the UCF Division of Continuing Education: (407) 882-0260,

If I took the GRE years ago, will UCF still accept the score?

GRE scores are valid for up to 5 years. If you have a GRE score that is more than 5 years old, it may be considered for admission purposes by program faculty. You must have either the original score report or have the score posted to an official transcript in order for the score to be official for admission purposes. Please notify the College of Education and Human Performance, Graduate Affairs, (407.823.5369), if you have a GRE score that you would like reviewed by program faculty.

NOTE: GMAT scores may also be considered for admission to graduate programs in the College of Education and Human Performance at the discretion of the program coordinator.

How soon will I have a decision on my application?

Completed applications will be reviewed after the application deadline. Decisions are made by faculty in the appropriate program areas. You will receive an email from the College and an email from Graduate Studies regarding your admission status (acceptance, denial, or additional information required) after the application deadline. You may monitor the status of your graduate application by checking your application account via this link.

What happens after I’m admitted?

When you are admitted to a graduate program, you will be sent an email containing registration information and program guidelines. You will need to make an appointment with your faculty advisor to discuss your plan of study as well as any orientation requirements for your program. You should also consult the New Knight Checklist available via Graduate Affairs 407-823-5369 or

When may I begin registering for courses?

If you are admitted to a graduate program, you will be sent an email asking whether you ACCEPT or DECLINE the offer of admission. You will not be authorized to begin registering for courses (matriculated) unless you respond to the email by accepting the offer of admission by logging onto your account at,

Please be advised that you will be contacted at the email address you provide on your graduate application. UCF Knights Email is the preferred method of correspondence through the university. For more information, please visit

What if I change my mind and want to defer my graduate admission to UCF?

If you decide to delay your admission to another term or choose to apply for a different program or under a different status, you are asked to go back online and apply for the new program of choice and pay the new application fee. Unless you are changing programs, you will not have to resubmit your supporting application credentials if they have already been received by the university (transcripts, GRE/GMAT scores, references, etc.).

What if I decide to earn a graduate certificate while also enrolled in my doctoral degree at UCF?

If you decide to earn a UCF graduate certificate during your doctoral degree program, you must file a separate online application for admission to the certificate program and then a separate form at the conclusion of the certificate program to graduate.

Dissertation Defense & Graduation

How do I file an Intent to Graduate?

To file your intent to graduate (frequently referred to as your “ITG”), log in to your Student Center on your MyUCF portal. Find the drop down box labeled other academic and choose Intent to Graduate: Apply. Then click the right arrow button and follow the steps to submit your intent.

When filing your Intent to Graduate form, please be sure to complete the university and program-specific surveys. You should file your online ITG as early as possible but no later than the first week of classes during your final term of enrollment in the graduate program. Intents will not be accepted after the university’s course withdrawal deadline during the term of anticipated graduation.

What deadlines do I have to meet in order to graduate?

Doctoral Candidates must first file their Intent to Graduate. If that important step does not happen, your file will not be reviewed for graduation and you will not receive communications regarding specific dates for deadlines in your anticipated semester of graduation.

Doctoral Graduation Deadlines include: Format Review Deadline, Dissertation Defense Deadline, and Final Submission Deadline (all dates posted on the UCF Academic Calendar).

Bookmark the “Completing your ETD” website and refer to it often:

How do I schedule my dissertation defense date?

You should decide on a defense date with your committee chair. Be sure the selected date is prior to the deadline posted in the academic calendar. Once a date has been decided on, you can contact Erica Mendoza at to reserve ED306 for your defense. Be sure to notify all of your committee members of the final date.

How do I submit for Format Review?

You need to submit for the Format Review via the Thesis and Dissertation Services website (ETD). There is a format review deadline you must meet in order to graduate, so be sure to check the University Academic Calendar and/or verify with the Graduate Affairs office (407-823-5369 or There are minimum formatting requirements to be met in order to successfully meet the Format Review Deadline. You can find these specifics as well as resources to help with formatting at the website for the College of Graduate Studies. In addition, visit the helpful FAQ’s specifically created for the ETD process.

How do I submit a formal defense announcement?

Students are encouraged to formally announce their defense meeting through an announcement. A sample defense announcement is available on the College of Education and Human Performance website. Use the template to create your own announcement and email it to Make sure that your committee chair has reviewed and approved your announcement prior to submitting it to the Graduate Affairs Office. There are no signatures required for this form. Please make sure to submit your announcement at least 2 weeks prior to your defense.

How do I select a Release Option?

Each student must select a release option for their thesis or dissertation at least two weeks prior to their scheduled defense. This tells the university how you would like your final document to be made available to the public or for future research and is noted on your final approval form. Talk with your Committee Chair and choose the release option via your MyUCF. Find the Release Option e-form on your MyUCF > Student Self Service >Student Center > Scroll to the Graduate Students subheading > Click the Graduate Form drop down box > Choose TD Release Option.

Do not print out your final approval form without the release option information. The Graduate College will not accept it. If you have any questions about the release option process, please send an e-mail to

Where can I find the Dissertation Approval Form?

The Dissertation Approval form can only be accessed by the student. Please download it from the ETD website at least 1 week prior to your defense to review it for accurate information. The form must show your selected release option in the top section. If any information on the approval form is incorrect or missing, please contact the Graduate Coordinator immediately. Locate and download the Dissertation Approval form from the Thesis & Dissertation Services website.

Where do I submit my Final Approval Form?

The final approval form can be found on the Thesis & Dissertation Services website. Once you have defended and your committee members have signed your final approval form, please bring your form to the Graduate Affairs Office (ED115). The Graduate Affairs Office will take care of acquiring the signatures on the 2nd half of the page and will submit your final approval form to the Graduate College. Ph.D. Students: please have your Track Coordinator sign the top line of the 2nd half where it says Program Director.

How do I find out additional information about commencement? will provide you with detailed information regarding graduation including how to order your cap & gown, the schedule of ceremonies, and additional information on tickets. Doctoral Candidates may get reserved seating for their guests by taking their tickets to the Office of Constituent Relations. Details can be found at

What if I am unable to defend by the deadline and need to push back graduation?

Contact the Graduate Affairs Office as soon as you know that you will not meet the dissertation defense deadline. We will then request that your Intent to Graduate be withdrawn. If you do not complete your thesis or dissertation during your expected graduation term, complete the release option form again in your final term.

How do I schedule my comprehensive exam?

Work directly with your faculty advisor and Program Coordinator to set up your comprehensive exam. Bring your Completion of Comp Exams form to your oral defense for signatures.

Attention: Higher Education students: please complete the Comp Exam Application posted on the program website.

How do I advance to Candidacy/Dissertation Hours?

Each program is slightly different. Please contact the Graduate Coordinator about two semesters prior to your first semester of Candidacy to allow plenty of time to understand and meet the requirements.
Note: All Doctoral students must complete the CITI Training prior to Candidacy.

PhD students: Submit your signed Completion of Comp Exams form to the Graduate Affairs Office. Please also submit your signed Committee/Candidacy form. It requires initials from each member who has agreed to serve, or an email (printed and attached to the form) from each member in lieu of initials.

C&I EdD students: You can only enter Candidacy upon successful completion of EDG 7985 and approval of your chair. Please also submit your signed Committee/Candidacy form. It requires initials from each member who has agreed to serve, or an email (printed and attached to the form) from each member in lieu of initials.

Educational Leadership EdD - Higher Ed students: Submit your signed Completion of Comp Exams form to the Graduate Affairs Office. Please also submit your signed Committee/Candidacy form. It requires initials from each member who has agreed to serve, or an email (printed and attached to the form) from each member in lieu of initials.

Educational Leadership EdD - Executive Track students: You can only enter Candidacy upon successful completion of your Dissertation Proposal and approval of your chair. Please submit the “Proposal Approval form- signed by your committee” as well as your signed Committee/Candidacy form. The Committee form requires initials from each member who has agreed to serve, or an email (printed and attached to the form) from each member in lieu of initials.


How do I register for Dissertation Hours?

Each program is slightly different. Please contact the Graduate Coordinator at least one month prior to the start of the semester to inquire.