HAPPY Hour Student Showcase
What is the HAPPY Hour Student Showcase?
|Click PLAYbutton to start slideshow presentation
One of the best ways to grow professionally is through participation in professional conferences. The HAPPY Hour Student Showcase, which simulates a professional conference experience, highlights our teacher candidates as presenters. The Showcase is a forum for students to share their best work with their peers during a 30- or 45-minute time slot in an in-house conference venue. This is a tremendous opportunity for professional development in which students can enhance their scholarship and presentational skills. Student presenters engage in a powerful mentoring relationship with faculty as they progress through all steps of the presentation process – from brainstorming a presentation topic, to writing a presentation proposal, to honing one’s presentation, to actually presenting at the Showcase. This experience, which can be included on one’s professional resume, shows initiative and a desire to be a life-long learner, attributes highly valued by future employers.
What are the benefits to student presenters in the HAPPY Hour Student Showcase?
- have a chance to share work of which they are very proud.
- learn the process of submitting proposals for a conference.
- be able to hone their presentational skills.
- participate in a real-life professional development experience.
- gain experience that they can include in their professional portfolios and resumes.
- qualify for a $500 scholarship that will enable them to attend a professional conference of their choice
What are suitable topics for presentation?
Previous topics have included the following:
- Assignments students have completed and of which they were proud
- Strategies/activities learned in classes, workshops, internships, field experiences, conferences, etc.
- Projects about which students are enthusiastic
- Talents related to education that can be easily taught to the audience
- A strategy that worked during one’s internship and/or tips for remaining during ones' internship
How do I get involved as a presenter?
- Refer to the HAPPY Hour Student Showcase Presenter Handbook.
- If possible, attend some of the fall HAPPY Hour workshops on presenting at the Showcase and how to write a proposal to present at the Showcase.
- Student presenters are mentored throughout the entire presentation process by interested faculty/advisors and members of the HAPPY Hour Committee.
- In mid-January, a HAPPY Hour workshop on “Presenting Your Presentation” is dedicated solely to honing student presenters’ presentation skills.
When is this year’s HAPPY Hour Student Showcase?
This year’s Showcase is:
Date: Saturday, January 26, 2013
Time: 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Whom do I contact for more information?
Contact: Dr. Karen Verkler, HAPPY Hour Chair
Office: ED 220L